Tuesday 27 September 2011

First day in class...

A baptism of fire, straight into sketching, pinning up... I'm so glad, I was dreading the first pin-up because I know my sketching is on the high priority list of things to improve. I managed to forget some of the techniques I had learned over the summer; that each sketch should have fitted into a quarter of the sheet we were given; that time planning can help achieve the task, oh the list is endless. I was so nervous, the hour just disappeared. I'm sure the first one is always the worst!

Loads of positive pointers from Jamie, Julia and Paula, technique, process etc. I think this is going to be an amazing journey.
First sketch, this went below the first quarter of the page so the lower part of it is missing, no real problem as it didn't enhance the rest of the sketch in any way. It all needs simplifying and the annotation is not inspiring.
This sketch had to be squeezed under the top one as I had used too much paper, consequently the page ended up looking really busy. You can see that I spent too long on the first one as they become more minimal as time runs out!
It's getting worse, I was panicking at this point, desperate to get something down on the paper and therefore not thinking clearly.
With a few extra minutes I tried to give the trees some ground rather than have them floating in the air, I tried to give some perspective to the sketch but overall a pretty poor job.
Lessons learnt from this are:

  • calm down and have a plan, I liked the idea of a rough sketch to show what was going onto the big sheet.
  • the annotation could help the sketch in being more descriptive and adding a feel to the design rather than stating the ....... obvious. 
  • try to draw at eye level to put the viewer into the space
  • a person to be included to give a sense of scale


No comments:

Post a Comment