Tuesday 4 October 2011

Sketches

Here are my 8 sketches using different media. I took longer than the 2 mins, partly because I enjoyed doing them sat in the sunshine but also because my very quick sketching is poor - I know that's the whole reason for the exercise  - and so I'm practising quick sketches. Yesterday was good practice following Paula round the building, although my efforts were poor, I can look at what I do and see where it went wrong and that is a pretty good step forward.
I really like charcoal but not in such a small scale, on big A3 sheets it is quite fun and very versatile. I like the fineness of the technical pen in this small space. My sketchbook isn't very water friendly so the water colour is more of a coloured pencil. I'll buy a different sketchbook next time with less absorbent paper as the water soluble graphite is lovely to use, very quickly you can get good shading effects. I do use other paper and staple it in to the sketchbook.
The scan has missed the right hand edge, it's because the book doesn't lie flat, need to remember that.

Clockwise from top left: technical pen, soft graphite pencil, felt tip, biro, lead pencil, watercolour pencils, charcoal, crayon 

No comments:

Post a Comment