Tuesday 24 April 2012

Interim Crit 1:50 and high drama on the way home...

It started off a difficult day yesterday... because the first one of my designs that I sent to print jammed the print queue so nothing would print. I got in early because the cleaners are there on a monday and as they sip their coffee I can get on with printing. So I was starting to panic a little thinking I would be late pinning up and Phil arrived and managed to sort the problem quite quickly and printing resumed.

So into the studio to pin up, plenty of room because not many people were there, at 10am less than half the class I think. But I see that as their problem and not mine, the crits are useful feedback and the only opportunity for it. How it becomes my problem and everyone else who is there on time is the apathy pisses the lecturers off, we have to wait longer for the crits to start and then miss out on some additional useful teaching. So, spare a thought...

I was pleased with how my crit went, definitely one of the better ones for me. When I printed my 1:50 it was quite dark and the rendering wasn't working so I can improve that. Detail on the other drawings needs to be addressed and I need to resolve the spring planting which I'll discuss in detail with Julia on Friday.

The next hanging (of work) is on the 8th May at Hadlow and is 16 - 20 A1 sheets, so I'm starting to think about how the wall will look  - which is exciting and incredibly scary all at the same time.

The day finished with high drama. On the way home as I went round the corner where the M25 rejoins itself after the A21 turn off there was a car smashed up and sitting in the middle of the 2 lane carriageway, luckily I had had my brakes fixed the week before so I jammed on and slowed onto the hard shoulder, looked at the car and a girl was sitting in it. I rushed over opened the door to check she was ok and the car was filled with smoke so I asked if she could move and if so get out the car. Meanwhile I called the firebrigade and police. The girl was badly shaken but no visible injuries so she sat in my car until help arrived. Firemen arrived first and I explained why I'd called them, because by now there was no real sign of smoke - a bit embarrassing - but the Incident Commander - a brilliant job title - explained that when the airbags explode they let out a smoke like substance and that is what it would have been (I learn new stuff every day). So he took control and said I could leave the scene and enjoy driving on a traffic free road! All the other cars had to wait for the debris to be cleared.

No comments:

Post a Comment