Tuesday 13 December 2011

Masterplan Interim Crit

Pinned up the three Sovereign Park masterplan designs and Jamie, Julia and Paula reviewed them. I was keen to progress with Playful but I needed to define the Big Idea, I had lots of ideas about how the space would be used but needed a hook to hang it on. Jamie threw a few words/ideas into the ring to help me focus and the one that has stuck (excuse the pun) is Magnet - it sums up what I want the Sovereign area to become. A magnet for artists, craft stalls, christmas markets - imagine if you will the banks of the Seine, the banks of the Thames all lined with artists showing their work, the fun atmosphere in Covent Garden square, characaturists drawing people, fun market stalls, fish stalls, actors, musicians. A lovely cafe with a fun atmosphere. Job opportunities for locals. All pulled to the redesigned promenade area.

Issues to address on the plan are the beach path, re-siting the central hub area further away from the waterworks, layout of trees, the ratio of hard to soft landscaping.

Issues to address on the style are the whole page layout, correct size page - in future must read all e mails even if I think it's a resend,  there could be important information added to the bottom of it! Lesson learnt. The use of graphics, not to mix styles.

I came away really pleased, I have a lot to work on but feel inspired by what I'm doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment