Tuesday 22 November 2011

Wood Wharf Overview

Good to reflect on a project, spent 10mins today looking at where I started on Wood Wharf and where I ended up - graphically. Huge difference in the final piece of work, and whilst I can still see ways of improving it, overall I'm happy.

My initial design concept didn't change, is that good or bad? Its execution did, thanks to comments from Paula about structures and winds, but once that was sorted it was a question of how to display it. Lots of time spent on photoshop and sketch up, but initially the results were not that good, I felt it was a lot of input for a poor level of output. I wanted something to pin up even though I knew it wasn't right, comments on the crit were honest and straightforward. I knew I could do better!

Fridays tutorial was a turning point, lots of books to look through, and Jamie's comment on the Monday that it doesn't have to be all about photoshop and sketch up. I got the pencils out and used a combination of techniques including sketching over sketch up. It was when I went back to it that I realised the previous weeks input was now paying off. All the time spent, mistakes made, were all part of learning the programmes.

Still lots more to learn:

  • I'm going to look at transparency in more detail to make pictures look more realistic,  trying out some ideas for the CMP for Knole. 
  • Hue, saturation and other things I've seen, but was frightened to use them in case the whole thing went wrong. 
  • Increase my people picture portfolio.
  • Create some interesting graphics, been checking out Grant's trees - they are really good (gutted I won't be able to make his workshop tomorrow)
Jamie showed us how to use extrude in VectorWorks, so am going to practise that, it makes sense if the plan is done in that programme, I could put the heights in at the same time as the other dimensions, that would save time.

Must work smarter not harder!

No comments:

Post a Comment