Monday 2 January 2012

Splash Point

Took a visit down to Worthing to have a look at Splash Point, good ideas and some good inspiration which is exactly what I need. Everything is developing too slowly and I'm starting to worry which is inhibiting my creative side. So, have spring cleaned my office, tidied everything up and now have a clear space and a clear mind to knuckle down and get on with the design.

Splash Point was smaller than I had anticipated and I really liked it. The rocks and the trees looked good. It is a pass through area along the promenade, but the rocks create a stopping/playing point. The children loved it, a cold wet day but they couldn't resist running through the spray. It's triggered by jumping on a certain circle and runs for about a minute. I'm going to use something similar in my design, it's simple and its appearance will fit well with the sea defence rocks at Eastbourne - it also adds a lot to the playful element. The wave wall was also popular with children wanting to walk along the top of it.

I also like the landforms at Llanelli Coastal Park and am going to use this idea to make the transition from one height to another, gently sloping down to meet the lower path and as an alternative to the steps.

I'm probably going to knock the beach path on the head, it wasn't well received at the crit as it would ruin the line of the beach and I agree now I've developed it.

These trees look good and have a distinctive appearance.  Seats are dotted through and the wavy concrete structures are fun for the kids (and adults) to walk over/play on.

The water park with lots of differently shaped rocks surrounded by the wave wall.
The kids loved the spray - they ended up pretty wet and cold!
Above and below - The rocks have games on some of them and engravings on others - adds to the interest.

The ground surface has been broken up with shapes set into it.
The artists shop - I really liked this, part of what I'm doing is week-end markets and to make it a destination for people to sell arts/crafts/paintings etc.

Need to crack on now, lots to do.

1 comment:

  1. Well done you! I haven't had the opportunity to go yet. Need to ask you a few questions about the site. I bet it was cold like!

    ReplyDelete